Hi there. In case we don't already know each other, my name is Eric Hall, and I have been involved with the data networking industry since the mid-1980s, either as an administrator, a journalist, or a developer of networking products and technologies. I currently work as an independent consultant to clients in the networking industry.
This site is a dumping ground for some of my historic and ongoing work. If you're looking for something in particular, you may want to use the site search to find it, or you can just browse around if you prefer. The site is organized as follows:
- Open-Source Software: In order to help me manage my own networks, I have written some plugins for the Cacti network monitoring and graphing toolkit, and also for the SpamAssassin email scoring system. Most of the direct links to this site are for these tools.
- Article Archives: Back when there was a technical trade press with robust freelance budgets, I made a pretty good living by writing primers and reviews for some of the better-known publications. I still write for some online sites (as well as for my clients), but I no longer consider myself a journalist by profession. Anyway, electronic copies of my public works are kept here for portfolio purposes.
- Book Projects: Aside from the short-form articles, I've also written some long-form books and software manuals. Here are the books I have been publicly involved with, either as an author or a contributor.
- Internet Technology Specifications: If I'm deep into a specific technology, I will usually end up spending a lot of my research time in one or more of the relevant IETF working groups. As a byproduct, I've written a couple of dozen Internet-Draft specifications for a variety of projects over the years, which you can view here if you are interested.
- Resumé: For those people who want to read about my career trajectory.
- Personal Projects: Apart from professional activities, I also enjoy building things, working on old cars, and playing with my Chihuahuas. You can view several photo albums of these projects here.
I am always looking for short-term and/or part-time technical projects. If you would like to discuss your project needs, you can send me email via email@example.com, or you can call me at 301-481-6597.